In 2002, Miles’s fans finally got a chance to hear an extensive amount of live material from the 1980s from official sources. This boxed set, featuring 20 CDs, chronicles all of Miles’s performances at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Two discs are devoted to Miles’s 1973 band, while another covers the 1991 orchestral re-working of the classic Gil Evans’ arrangements. The 20th disc is from a 1991 performance in Nice. The set covers Miles’s band performances in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1990 and shows how Miles’s music and bands evolved. The 1985 discs feature the band that included John Scofield, Bob Berg and Darryl Jones and find Miles at his peak of performance. The 1986 concert features guitarist Robben Ford and guest appearances from George Duke and David Sanborn. In 1989, Chaka Khan joined Miles on stage to sing “Human Nature.” The 1990 performance is one of the best, featuring the powerful rhythm section of bassist Richard Patterson and drummer Ricky Wellman. There are many gems in this package, although sadly, you need rather deep pockets to appreciate them.
- Miles 80s Music Collections - a round up of various Miles compilations from the 1980s
- The Man With The Horn Album Primer - An Introduction To Miles’ 80s album
- We Want Miles Album Primer - An Introduction To Miles’ live album from 1982
- Star People Album Primer - An Introduction To Miles’ album from 1983
- Decoy Album Primer - An Introduction To Miles’ album from 1984
- Miles Live - a round up of the various Miles live albums from the 1980s